Saturday 27 November 2010

Balancing act: University v Job Applications

The graduate scheme system is such that a university student would have to apply for the scheme one year in advance of start date. Naturally, this creates a number of problems for the student that has to balance time between attending lectures, writing assignments, group meetings, researching employers, writing application forms and constructing the final year dissertation.

Here are a number of things you could try:

1. Allocate a certain amount of time (1 hour a day/4 hours a week) on completing graduate scheme application forms.

2. Only pick 5 or 6 graduate schemes with December/January deadlines that you are really interested in and focus your allocated time on making sure each one of these are completed fully and without mistakes. (It would be a waste to spread your time over so many applications that they become half-efforts)

3. Attend only the graduate careers events you feel would be convenient, useful and with the opportunity for networking. Most of the time you will find similar employers attending these events, and a repetition of news - you do not have time for this. Pick wisely.

My personal solution to this problem was incredibly simple. I did not apply to one single graduate scheme. Looking back, this may have been a mistake but I'm not sure of it. I managed to attain a first at university, but I can almost guarantee that would not have been possible if I had been spending hours (and that is what you need to spend) completing application forms. Some of the applications ask ridiculous questions that require research of the company, different subjects, industries, concepts etc. Ultimately I stand by my decision to not pursue the graduate scheme during my final year of study. It is too distracting to be checking your email waiting for your responses, whether successful or unsuccessful.

I graduated this year, started my job hunt in September 2010 and I'm still jobless. I have had a number of prospects but they have not really ended up with anything solid. I have not taken the graduate scheme route, and I have no regrets. I do not like being treated like a number.

Please comment if you have experience with the balancing act of managing university work at the same time as making graduate scheme applications! It would be great to hear other opinions.

3 comments:

  1. Hey bro, I feel your pain.

    I am a recent economics graduate from Royal Holloway and it is now four months of painstaking job searching and still no job. :(

    I got a 2:1, which everyone tells me is fantastic (I disagree), but yet, I still don't have a job. Take yesterday for instance. I just took the step to sign on the dole, a step I hate doing and once I got home I applied to 10 different jobs. Goldman Sachs, a Media Analyst position at some other firm, a few bar tending jobs and a few admin positions, which pay minimum wage or thereabouts. Today, I haven't received anything back. Not even, the minimum wage jobs.

    Goldman Sachs haven't rejected me... yet. I also applied to financial analyst roles too. All in all, not a day goes by where I don't apply to something, I think on average I apply to 5 jobs. To be honest, I am sick of it. I have had 3 job interviews (face to face) in four month. There's a crazy statistic going around that 25 people are typically chasing one job. 25. It's ridiculous.

    My plan is to do a Masters at Nottingham, something I always wanted to do, then get back into the thick of it. Whilst at Nottingham, I will for sure apply to graduate schemes. I think, that's just the way it is now.

    Write back please, I want to hear your story from when you first post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Craig,

    It is really great to hear your thoughts. I completely understand what you're going through and I think that it is all completely ridiculous that we stuggle through years of education to be met with this.

    I think you should definitely go through with your Masters at Nottingham and then you can buy yourself some time to apply for the graduate schemes starting next year.

    My advice to you would be to really pick something you are interested in doing and really learn as much as you can about the industry. Instead of applying to 5 jobs a day (which is what I was doing too) take that down to 1 or 2. Really think about the answers and think about what they want from you.

    I don't know what much else I can say though, I finally got a job in February 2011 (took me 5 months from when I started searching) despite graduating from UCL with a first!

    It is all about just getting that foot in the door before it closes on you - and once you are in then things will be much easier trust me.

    Good luck in your future endeavours - I would be pleased to hear how you get on.

    Many thanks for taking interest

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!

    I really like the style of your blog! Sort of inspired me to create mine actually!

    Please take a look when you have time: www.thelondongrad.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete