Saturday 23 October 2010

Numerical Tests - The New Fashion

Don’t you love the conversations you have with your grandparents, ‘No gran, I can’t get to the job interview without first completing an application form, a series of tests, a telephone interview, an assessment centre...’. How times have changed since the good old days of newspaper ad, phone call, interview, job. Well maybe not for all jobs but definitely for graduate jobs.

Numerical tests are definitely in fashion. Not just for jobs that require numerical ability, but also for those that don’t! I applied to a scheme the other day that said nothing about having to be numerate at all. I still had to complete a numerical test. I think it’s something to do with the fact that your numerical ability is some indication of your overall general intelligence.

I find the SHL numerical tests are very hard. I don’t have a degree in a numerical subject, but I do have A-Level Maths. The general format is you have 25 minutes to answer 18 questions so about a minute and a half for each question. Performance under time pressure is something you only get with practice. Here are a few of my tips when it comes to numerical tests.

Tip 1: Your percentage score is not what the employers are looking for. They are looking for your score in comparison to a pool of results. The feedback I received from one of the SHL Verify Numerical Tests I completed was that I was in the 95th percentile (meaning that I got a score higher than 95% of test takers). Although, from my guessing, I calculate that I probably got the percentage score of around 60-65%. It’s not about you, it’s about how you compare.

Tip 2: Be awake. The main reason for a bad result is if you are tired, unable to concentrate or stressed. Make sure you pick a time where there are no distractions, where you are fully awake and can focus your efforts on each question.

Tip 3: Practice, practice, practice. It is the best way to improve your accuracy, efficiency and general ability. The format of the questions will become familiar and the time it takes for you to figure out what the question wants will lessen.

Tip 4: Stop practicing. There is something called over-practicing. It’s not good. Don’t overdo it.

If you are an undergraduate/graduate and you are jobhunting you are bound to come across testing of some sort. These tips apply for any kind of test, not just the numerical ones. It’s just another hoop to jump through.


Share your experience with numerical tests, leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment